Saturday, April 25, 2015

Black Photography Backdrop

Happy Saturday my Lovelies!

There is something intense, dramatic and deep about taking photos on a black backdrop...I found a vintage black velvet gown and and while doing some research and experiments with my camera...
I learned it's much easier to photograph  against a solid background and then add/subtract filler items for context.  In gardening photography, this is called a specimen shot where the only thing of interest is an individual plant, flower, or leaf, and this kind of photography can be its own separate category in a gardening photography competition. Although in my photos I often have more than one specimen...I like to think my product fit the category perfectly!



 I LOVE the freshness a white background creates!  However, something white against something black can really highlight the details that might have otherwise been missed!



Here are my first trial shots with a black backdrop.  
- I still need to learn how to control the light exposure and saturation but I'm quite happy on how these turned out!


Photo: Paper & Peony


Photo: Paper & Peony


Photo: Paper & Peony

I couldn't resist to photograph my new ring box I got from The Mrs. Box - Beautifully handmade boxes using colourful french vintage velvet..."these pieces are as much an heirloom as they are a showcase for your most treasured baubles."  - I second that quote!

Photo: Paper & Peony - Ring Box from The Mrs. Box


Here I applied my new logo to this shot...I think it's perfect! 
I see this as a book cover... another project - brewing ideas!!!

Photo: Paper & Peony


Photo: Paper & Peony


Photo: Paper & Peony

Photo: Paper & Peony
Photo: Paper & Peony

No comments:

Post a Comment